How To Claim The Solar Tax Credit Using Form 5695

When you want to claim the solar tax credit (ITC) using Form 5695, follow these steps:
Quickly fill out IRS Form 5695, called “Solar Investment Tax Credits.”
Use this form to complete your 1040 Schedule 1 for taxes.
Claiming the solar tax credit is easy with our guide!
The solar investment tax credit (ITC) is a great incentive for homeowners and businesses who install solar energy systems. It gives you back 26% of the total cost as a rebate. But there are some things to know before you claim it.

What we cover:

  • What is the Solar ITC and how does it work?
  • Who can get the Solar ITC?
  • How to fill out IRS Form 5695?
  • What if you made mistakes in claiming the Solar ITC?
  • Are there other solar-related tax credits?
  • What forms do you need to claim the ITC?

The Solar ITC is like a discount on installing solar panels at home. You need to buy the panels first to claim it. You get a 26% rebate, but it has to be for the year you installed the solar system. And you have to claim it within five years.
To claim the credit, you’ll need info about your solar system:

  • How big it is (measured in Kw)
  • Who made the panels
  • When you installed them
  • How much they cost
  • Any rebates or incentives you got

You also need your social security number or employer ID, plus details about your taxable income.
Can you claim the credit if you lease your solar system? No, it’s only for people who own their solar systems.
Who can get the Solar ITC? You need to be a U.S. citizen or Resident with a federal tax liability. And if you want to claim it, make sure your solar system is new, not used.

How to fill out IRS Form 5695:
Fill out the form with details about your solar system.
Multiply the cost by 26% to get the credit amount.
Transfer the credit to your tax return.
Double-check for mistakes to avoid penalties.
What to do if you made mistakes claiming the Solar ITC:
Use Form 8919 to fix errors within three years.
You may need to file this if you claimed too much or too little.
Are there other solar-related tax credits?

Yes, there’s one called the Residential Energy Conservation Subsidy Exclusion (RECSE). It’s another way to save on solar installations.
If you’re not sure how to claim the Solar ITC, talk to a tax professional. And if you’re ready to go solar, get quotes from trusted installers to save money and get the 26% tax credit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Solar Tax Pros Federal Solar Tax Credit written over a solar eclipse

Federal Solar Tax Credit Bonuses

Federal Solar Tax Credit Bonuses Florida Power and Light customers may see an increase in electricity rates of up to 20% over four years if the Public Service Commission approves the increase. The increase would affect more than 11 million

Read More »

Advanced Solar Tax Pros Consulting Menu

Advanced Solar Tax Pros Consulting Menu Is switching to solar energy something you are interested in but unsure where to begin? This guide will walk you through every step of the process, from figuring out what options you have to

Read More »